Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sharp Turn

Two weekends, in different times of the year around 2001, converted me.

A typical Sunday in the fall included time in front of the TV to watch NFL. John Elway was retired, the Broncos were OK but not great, and the league's list of lame, felonious, deadbeat-dad, unsportsmanlike players in my mind was growing each day. I snapped. I changed channels. For the rest of that NASCAR season, I watched more of a race than of the snaps on Sundays.

The next spring, I was in North Carolina for a conference and was able to take a ride in a pacecar around Lowe's. We reached 100 mph on turns banked at 24 degrees, and I was hooked.

Drivers are athletes, I realized. My appreciation for the sport has only grown since.

The 2008 season in the fourth for RMN, and fifth year I've managed a league. It's grown each year, and I'm eager to keep players interested with several side games. This year, we have double- and single-elimination tournaments, world cup format, head-to-head standings format and a playoff chase. I'm looking at a few more wrinkles for 2009.

Stay tuned.

No comments: